Mexico’s exotic dishes are vastly popular in different restaurant chains and for family dinners. There are the burritos, enchiladas, tacos, and quesadillas, which are known mostly for the spices, varied flavor, and colorful garnishes that are the distinct qualities of authentic Mexican cuisine.
Now, combine the idea of something Mexican with “pizza” and you have a delicious meal of corn tortillas topped with meat, chili pepper, shredded cheese, and basically all the taco toppings that you love.
You can make Mexican pizza even with just leftover tortillas, taco beans, and meat, and then other ingredients that you have on hand. It’s a good dish to try, especially if you love Mexican food and are tired of the old standby.
You can find the recipe for Mexican pizza below. It uses alternatives, such as extra-lean ground beef instead of the ordinary kind and baking the tortillas instead of frying, to lessen the calorie count and make it way healthier, so you can enjoy more Mexican goodness without the guilt.
HEALTHY MEXICAN PIZZA
- 448 g vegan or low-fat refried beans
- 255 g extra-lean ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 6 6-inch corn tortillas
- 225 g low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 86 g light sour cream
- 2 Roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 can of diced green chilies, drained
- 8 g black olives, sliced
- A cast iron tortilla serving pan
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (a pizza maker can also be used)
- In a large pan, cook beef until evenly browned. Stir in the seasoning packet.
- Layer each tortilla with beans and beef. Top a second tortilla and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake tortillas in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Arrange tortillas in cast iron Comal pan or plate and top them with sour cream, tomatoes, green onions, chilies, and olives. Let cool slightly before cutting into wedges.
You can cut the tortillas in slices and serve as appetizers or leave it whole as a main dish. The best thing about this Mexican pizza is that you can adjust it to different tastes, add more or lessen toppings and cheese, or use more Mexican hot sauce and hot chili powder.
This healthy Mexican pizza is incredibly easy to make, you can even do it as a last-minute meal. It also tastes so good, it’ll surely be a hit in your house and your family might even ask for it to be a regular family dish!
If Mexican pizza isn’t your thing, perhaps try this delicious Mexican beef taco recipe. If you prefer Spanish cuisine, be sure to try this amazing Paella recipe – it won’t disappoint!