It’s no secret that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It helps boost brain-power, recharge your body, and lift your mood. However, despite knowing these benefits, only a few of us take the time to prepare a healthy and hearty breakfast and enjoy it in peace.
A big reason for this is the time crunch. Whether it’s an important meeting or your child’s school bus driver honking outside the window, it’s difficult to find time for breakfast during the hectic morning hours.
If you’re guilty of missing out on breakfast, we have a solution: Easy-to-prepare (and equally healthy) breakfast recipes. So, let’s get started!
1. Breakfast Smoothies
There are mornings when chewing seems like a chore. That’s where breakfast smoothies come in handy. Loaded with fruits, nuts, and oats, these are a great way to start your morning on a high note!
You can make endless combinations of smoothies depending on the ingredients you have in hand. Here are some combinations that never disappoint:
- Blueberry-Banana: Blend frozen blueberries and bananas with yogurt, a spoonful of honey, and a few tablespoons of oats.
- Kale-Apple: Blend kale leaves, apple slices, some almond milk, and flaxseeds. Sweeten it with maple syrup.
- Peach-Cherry: Start with a frozen peach and add pitted cherries, a spoonful of almond butter, chia seeds, and some oats.
This powerhouse of nutrition combines rolled oats, nuts, seeds, and dried fruits. It means you’re getting everything from fiber to protein to vitamins in just one bowl.
The best part about muesli is the short prep time. It comes together in only thirty minutes. Plus, you can make it in advance and enjoy it on the go.
Here’s an easy muesli recipe to make your mornings healthy and hassle-free.
- Sunflower seeds
- Hemp seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Chia seeds
- Dried apples
- Dried raisins
- Sliced almonds
- Rice puffs
- Brown rice crisps
- Quick cooking oats
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
Mix everything in a bowl and enjoy with your choice of milk and some fresh fruits. Yum!
3. Cinnamon-Date Power Bites
It’s always a blessing to have some pre-made snacks ready in the kitchen. These cinnamon-date power bites are just the thing! They make for a great, energizing pop-in-the-mouth-and-go breakfast. Even if you make them from scratch in the morning, it will only take ten minutes to fix these goodies.
Here’s how to make these soft and chewy power balls:
- Take pitted Medjool dates and mash them in a mixing bowl.
- Add some chopped cashews, ground cinnamon, a teaspoon of chia seeds, almond butter, a dash of vanilla, and some salt.
- Mix until everything combines well.
- Roll the mixture to form small balls and put them in the fridge in airtight Tupperware.
Feel free to mix and match ingredients like coconut flakes, oats, and other nuts. These make for great breakfast bites that can be savored throughout the day!
4. Avocado Toast
Avocado toast is a modern classic. It gets ready in a blink and is extremely customizable. If you want to start your day on a smoky note, top your toast with smoked salmon and some fresh dill. If melt-in-the-mouth is more your vibe, stick to feta cheese and cherry tomatoes. Whatever you choose, it will delight your taste buds right in the morning.
To make an avocado toast…
- Toast your choice of bread until it’s perfectly golden brown.
- Mash a ripe avocado into a spreadable paste and layer your bread with it.
- Put your choice of topping on top.
- Sprinkle a bit of kosher salt and pepper to taste.
This savory breakfast goes well with a cup of Joe or even a smoothie.
5. Overnight Oats
Start your day with a creamy bowl of overnight oats. This fiber-rich breakfast is super simple to make and is a great make-ahead dish. Plus, the ingredient list is short and sweet – you probably already have the ingredients in your pantry.
Here’s what you need to do to prepare this bowl of goodness:
- Soak rolled oats in your choice of liquid. Almond milk and yogurt are popular choices.
- Top the mixture with chia seeds.
- Add your favorite fruit. Berries go well with the combination.
- Let it chill overnight in the fridge.
In the morning, you’ll have a delicious breakfast ready. Add some nut butter for added crunch and flavor.
Say hello to the most versatile breakfast of all time – a frittata. Loaded with eggs, cheese, and vegetables of your choice, this dish is packed with protein. You can also add some meat to the mix for an extra kick of flavor and nutrition.
To make this dish:
- First, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Now, grease a baking dish with avocado oil and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, cheese, and vegetables like bell peppers and potato cubes.
- Pour this egg mixture into the baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle some herbs on top before serving, and enjoy your easy-peasy breakfast!
7. Bun-less Bacon, Egg, and Cheese
Calorie-watchers, this one’s for you! Leave out the carbs and enjoy just the protein-packed goodness of bacon, egg, and cheese. This easy breakfast comes together in a jiffy and can even be made on the go!
To make one serving:
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add some oil or butter.
- Place 2-3 slices of bacon to cook until crisp.
- Drain the bacon on a paper towel.
- Crack an egg into the same skillet, season it with salt and pepper, and cook for about 3 minutes until set.
- Place a slice of cheese on top and let it melt for 1 minute.
- Layer with crisp bacon strips and cover with another egg.
Dig in. Yep, you just used an egg as a bun!
Preparing breakfast shouldn’t have to feel like a chore. With the right ingredients and a bit of creativity, you can throw together some delicious dishes with minimal effort. The recipes we’ve shared above are only a peek into the fun and flavorful things you can have for breakfast.
We hope you try and enjoy each one of these!