The culture of Middle East countries is so alluring that it manages to seduce everyone who ventures into its realm. Visiting this region has been the dream of many who always promise to come back again and relive the distinct magic of these ancient lands. Just like everything else in this region, the food can be described as different, astonishing, and rich in taste. Here are the 10 delightful must-try Middle East dishes no food buff should ever pass on. They are displayed in pairs of two, each as a dish and a dessert from the 5 selected countries of the Middle Eastern region.
Have Döner for dinner in Turkey
When one says Turkey, three things come to mind: shopping, seaside resorts with impeccable service, and delightful food. When in Turkey, try the following:
- Döner. A very popular dish in many countries, döner comes from Turkey. They prepare the meat on a vertical rotisserie and arrange it inside a flatbread wrap together with salad and garlic, seasoning it with different spices. Some options include French fries or spicy dressing.
- Baklava. After a good lunch comes an even better dessert and it doesn’t get much better than baklava. It’s a pastry with phyllo dough sheets soaked in sweet syrup filled with walnuts, cinnamon, and pistachio. There are several varieties of it and they are all delightful.
The delightful must-try Middle East dishes of Saudi Arabia are healthy and tasty
Every Muslim has a special place for Saudi Arabia in his heart because this country is the proud home of the two holly cities of Islam: Mecca and Medina. But with endless beaches and shopping for hours, Saudi Arabia is quickly becoming very popular with people of all faiths and nations. The stunning Yanbu and Jeddah are among the places you should not skip when you visit this amazing country. And here is what you should not skip tasting:
- Jalamah. Take the finest, young lamb meat, prepare it with fat and onions with a blend of Arabic spices and Jalamah is what you will get. Although this dish does not lack a rich taste, people consider it healthy to eat because all the ingredients are additive-free. Also, the cooking methods are those that most nutritionists approve of.
- Ma’amoul. For a touch of the ancient food scene, try this cookie that typically has a fruit or nut filling. It usually has the shape of a ball or dome.
Egypt’s dessert tells a story of ancient times
You probably already know why you should go to Egypt as its popularity has been continually increasing in recent years. The pyramids of Egypt, as one of the 7 World Wonders attract the rich, the poor, the scholarly, and all the rest. The beaches of Egypt are a story on their own, with the world of coral reefs every diver dreams of visiting. But here’s the Egyptian food that is by all means among the must-try Middle East dishes.
- Koshari. Street food is often so good it merits a place in a 5-star restaurant and koshari proves it. It consists of white rice, pasta, lentils, and chickpeas, all with a mouth-watering tomato sauce and crispy fried onions.
- Umm Ali. This is a very old and very famous Egyptian dessert. It has a legend behind it that says the wife of one of the sultans of Egypt gave this dessert to the people after her husband’s death. They named this milk-soaked bread with sugar and nuts after her.
In Kuwait, you will eat delicacies cooked in rosewater
Kuwait resembles something out of modern fantasy novels. It mixes modern wonders with charming Middle Eastern traditions and there isn’t much like it. This country is rich! Rich in culture, rich in architecture, rich in business opportunities, rich in history, and rich in tasty delights. Here are some you should never miss when in one of the beautiful restaurants of Kuwait.
- Machboos. This delicacy with rice and meat will capture your taste buds. The rice they use is not of the regular kind but the fragrant basmati prepared in rosewater and saffron. The meat is cooked slowly and separately from the rice. On top of everything comes a tasty red sauce that includes garlic, tomatoes, and black pepper.
- Gers Ogaily. How about a perfume cake? Imagine saffron, rosewater, cardamom, and sesame seeds in a fluffy sponge cake that tastes like heaven. It’s a perfect finale to the nice Kuwait dinner that will have you asking for more.
The United Arab Emirates are the synonym of luxury and perfection, even when it comes to street food
Luxury, history, business opportunities, beaches, shopping – United Arab Emirates has it all. Dubai, one of the most popular destinations for both visiting and relocating to in this part of the world is the city of wonders. If you too are interested in relocating to this part of the Middle East, bear in mind one piece of advice on moving we got from the moving experts from fourwinds-ksa.com – get all the information related to the paperwork you need, especially if you want to take your pet with you. It is always good to prepare everything in advance and avoid unpleasant surprises. As for the surprises, here are the pleasant ones you will experience there when it comes to food.
- Shawarma. Even though you will find exquisite food in all those high-end restaurants of UAE, Shawarma is a street food that will kick you off your feet. You might have given it a try somewhere else in the world, but it can’t compare to the real thing you’ll find in Dubai. The meat that goes in it can be lamb, beef, or chicken which combines awesomely with fresh vegetables, onions, and various sauces. When they roll all that in soft flatbread all you can do is enjoy your meal.
- Luqaimat. It’s crunchy and sweet and it has a soft inside. This is a type of dumpling that will stay in your thoughts for days begging you to get more of it. To make it they use yeast, cardamom, saffron, milk, butter, flour, and of course, sugar. A simple dessert but, just as is the case with many simple things, a classic that never goes out of style.
Wrapping it up
At the end of this text, let’s try to wrap it up as well as they do it with Döner. As you can see, Middle Eastern cuisine is as special as its culture and history. The rich taste of the dishes in this region is something every foodie must try in his life. It’s unforgettable.